Okay, so you basically have thought about who you would like to market to maybe by age, gender, lifestyle, behavior etc.. but have you pinpointed or attempted to at least search for whom among your target market may be most likely to purchase your product/service? This process is called segmenting but on a more focused scale. Market segmenting to a small business owner can be vital to their success. I mean with all of the larger competition surrounding you , it would be wise to decide almost exactly who your customer is. Their are some key areas of segmenting , which if you design your marketing strategy around them , you can begin to see an increase in sales almost immediately! Check out these 5 areas below and use them to get focused on who your customer might be.
- Age- instead of a range like 11-18 get specific by saying teenagers in highschool
- Gender- instead of saying for ALL, instead specifically target teenage girls in highschool
- Lifestyle- What kind of Jewelry do teenage girls in highschool like to wear(if you are an accesories biz)
- Geographics/Location/Weather- What do teenage girls in highschool, who live upstate NY, prefer to wear in the Fall( ie.short, waist length jean jackets, light weight hijabs etc…)
- Behavior- Do your customers care about prestige, what’s trending? What kind of clothing do they like to purchase during the holidays?(colors, materials/fabric etc..)
For further explanation, a customer is not just someone who conveniently comes in to buy a few things from you but your customer is one who is willing and able( they have access to disposable income) to purchase your product or service because it fulfills a need or solves some problem they may be experiencing. Appreciate ALL purchases but take care of your customers because they are the ones keeping you in business! They trust that they can exclusively buy from you and they are consistently buying from you. Is your customer just 1 person ? The answer is NO! Your customer is a group of individuals that count on you to serve them. They are buying solutions they really don’t and should not be expected to understand the struggles you endure to get your product on the market or your service delivered. Work to develop a relationship with all who purchase from your biz whether they decide to buy or not. People often remember HOW THEY WERE TREATED. Its an emotion that drives action on all levels!
P.S. See you on the other side of change because I am no longer living in contemplation!
Your Mental Fitness and Business Coach,